Tuesday, December 9, 2008

RIP Kurt Cobain RIP Lew Ashby

I remember what I was doing when Kurt Cobain committed suicide. I was in Mandee's (yup, as in "Mandee to the rescue") with my friend Laura shopping for a long flowery dress and combat boots to wear to my 8th grade prom because I was oh so "grunge."

Hank and Karen however, were deciding weather or not to keep the baby that was growing inside of Karen. While I thoroughly enjoyed all the shirtless Hank action that went on during the flashbacks, I really loved the insight into the beginning of their relationship. As they both contemplate all that’s fucked up about their young relationship, the fact that she’s knocked up while they’re both cheating on their partners, Karen seems all too blasé about letting go of him, and Hank’s struggling with his heart – he knows he’s madly in love with Karen and doesn’t want to let her go.

Our boy sits at his (noisy) typewriter and writes a love letter to Karen that she takes a peek at while he’s in the shower. Later that day they decide they can’t see each other anymore and as they leave each other on the crowded street, Karen sees Hank drop the letter in the mailbox. She calls back to him and invites him to a Cobain vigil.

They live happily ever after….for a few years anyway.

Next episode Lew Asbhy goes and over doses. Who saw that coming?

No comments: