Tuesday, October 21, 2008

SEMI PRECIOUS PUBLICITY

It's the first day of CMJ and my first order of business was checking out the "Everything PR Minus the Music" panel. Going into it, I was completely perplexed as to why in god's name Justin Tranter from Semi Precious Weapons was part of this panel among four publicity/marketing experts. I was also kind of shocked that the room was mostly filled with NYU students, rather than actual publicists wanting to hear what their colleagues had to say. 

After I finished rolling my eyes to myself at Mister  Semi Precious Weapons, I actually started listening to what he had to say...and damnit...he knows his shit. He's very involved in branding his band and jewelry line and is pretty darn savvy on the pr/marketing front. 

Anyway, some of my fav quotes from his publicity advice today:

"Perez Hilton is King so I made him one of my Best Friends...and I have no shame in that!"

"Hipster press must die...I'd rather be in US Weekly than Pitchfork."

"People post fucked up [things like] 'fuck this fag.' I say 'ok, well line up!" (on bad press, especially on blogs)

1 comment:

A said...

"Hipster press must die...I'd rather be in US Weekly than Pitchfork."

A-motha-effin-men! however, i gotta ask...what ever happened to the old days of "no press is bad press"?