Saturday, April 25, 2009

Rockers and Dope

From todays Page Six (I don't know if I I'm laughing or filled with fear):

ELTON John, during a party in the 1970s before he became sober, allegedly took so much Valium, he jumped into a hotel pool and shouted, 'I'm going to die,' " according to "Everybody Must Get Stoned: Rock Stars on Drugs," out this week from Citadel. The author, who calls himself R.U. Sirius although his name is Ken Goffman, reports: "His grandma commented: 'I suppose we're going to have to go home now.' " In the book's other "twisted highlights or lowlights" of rock 'n' roll:

* Iggy Pop and the Stooges between 1969 and '70 injected "massive amounts of drugs, mostly heroin. When setting up a hit, the Stooges would squirt the blood out of their syringes and shoot it all over the walls and ceilings."

* A friend of Jim Morrison recalls that the Doors frontman -- who would later die of an accidental overdose -- would "lean up against the bar, order eight screwdrivers, put down six Tuinals on the bar, drink two or three screwdrivers, take two Tuinals," be pleasured by a groupie, and then down more booze and drugs.

* When Dee Dee Ramone gave the Sex Pistols star Sid Vicious speed, "Vicious pulled out a syringe, stuck it into a toilet filled with puke, and then loaded it with speed and shot himself up."

* Ozzy Osbourne once told High Times he was poolside when he offered a stranger coke. "He goes, 'No, no, no.' I'm whacking this stuff up my nose . . . [and] I say, 'What do you do?' "He says, 'I work for the government . . . for the drug squad.' I sez, 'You're [bleep]ing joking.' He shows me his badge. I [bleep]in' flipped -- flames were coming out of my fingers, man. He says, 'Oh, you're all right. I'm the guy that got you the coke.' "

1 comment:

CherylBLITZ said...

I wanna read this book! LOL!